Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Belgian government introduced a draft bill in Belgian Parliament mitigating the consequences of a no-deal Brexit. The draft bill aims at guaranteeing a status quo for British nationals living and working in Belgium. British nationals and their family members legitimately residing in Belgium would maintain the right to residence. Furthermore, Belgium would continue to apply the principles laid down in the European coordination rules on social security (provided that the UK takes a similar commitment vis-à-vis Belgium). The measures, postponing some effects of a no-deal Brexit, would apply until 31 December 2020 to allow authorities to work out an overall solution. ■
This could also interest you :
- Mobility budget – another legal initiative to reduce number of company cars in Belgium
- Upcoming webinar – Employees in Belgium: What is the Price Tag?
- Reliance publishes dedicated web page on work permits and professional cards
- Reliance and its founding partners praised in Chambers & Partners 2019
- UberX wins right to classify Belgian drivers as self-employed and is not considered as taxi service