Three attorneys of Reliance (Anne-Valérie Michaux, Sophie Gérard and Sophie Sottiaux) are the authors of an article in the Belgian Employment Law Magazine. This article summarizes the findings of a thorough case law analysis of the first 250 decisions rendered on unfair dismissal since the entering into force of the new legal framework in 2014 ("manifestly unreasonable dismissal", CBA No. 109). Case law appears to be lenient towards employers, as vast majority of employees' claims have been dismissed. This is in line with the rationale behind CBA No. 109, which is to limit the employer's obligation to pay additional compensation (ranging from 3 to 17 weeks' salary) to situations where the employer acted particularly unreasonable. A copy of the article can be found on https://reliancelaw.be/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Publication-Reliance-unfair-dismissal.pdf. ■
This could also interest you :
- Mobility budget – another legal initiative to reduce number of company cars in Belgium
- Upcoming webinar – Employees in Belgium: What is the Price Tag?
- Reliance publishes dedicated web page on work permits and professional cards
- Draft bill mitigating consequences of no-deal Brexit introduced in Belgian Parliament
- Reliance and its founding partners praised in Chambers & Partners 2019